Nancy A. Norman, Partner
Nancy A. Norman focuses her practice in corporate and business transactions. She has extensive experience in a wide variety of business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, sales of all or parts of businesses, international structuring, lending, borrowing and credit transactions, representing borrowers and lenders, transactions motivated by Federal income taxation and representing foreign owned companies investing in the United States. Ms. Norman has a wide range of talents and experience. Drawing on her years of working as an attorney on Wall Street and in working as legal counsel to some of San Antonio’s largest and most high profile companies, she regularly serves as general legal counsel to small and medium sized companies, and certain individual clients. Hardworking, creative and intelligent, Ms. Norman works with companies to reach practical results. She is known for looking for and finding solutions to client’s problems. Devoted to her clients and with a strong interest in business generally and her clients specifically, Ms. Norman is able to provide the services and guide her clients to the successful completion of transactions and the attainment of their goals.
Clients and Practice
Ms. Norman represents and works with some of the most interesting people and businesses in San Antonio. Due to her background in business and tax, she works with people in important San Antonio and international industries, including aviation, financial institutions, automobile parts manufacturing, food manufacturing and distribution, telecommunications, oil field service and products and real estate. She works with entrepreneurs, owners, investors, chief financial officers and other company executives who have great ideas and who generally devote their business energies and their lives to building competitive, sophisticated and dynamic companies—often leaders in their industries.
Ms. Norman has served as general legal counsel to all sizes of companies from small businesses owned by independent entrepreneurs to working with one of San Antonio’s largest companies, and especially companies in the middle market. She has worked on the purchase and sale of large and small businesses, including large dealerships and manufacturing plants, mergers and acquisitions of various types and in many industries, loans to purchase businesses, complex financing transactions and borrowings to finance ongoing businesses and to make purchases. In recognition of and complementing her business knowledge and experience, she has served on several boards of directors, including those of Texas National Bank, a large commercial nursing home corporation, and on the Housing Advisory Committee of the Alamo Area Council of Governments. Consistent with working within the San Antonio and South Texas business community, Ms. Norman is fluent in speaking Spanish.
Professional and Community
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rating
- Scene in SA, “San Antonio Best Lawyers”, 2009
- International Law Section of State Bar of Texas, President, 1986-1987
- Jackson Walker LLP, Partner, 2001-2011
- Gresham Davis Gregory Worthy & Moore, P.C., Partner, 1989-2001
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- San Antonio Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Association for Corporate Growth, Member, 2010 to present
- The Entrepreneurship Institute, San Antonio Chapter, Advisory Board 2005-2007
- Alamo Area Council of Governments, Housing Advisory Committee, 2006-2008
- United Way of San Antonio, Masters Leadership Program, Class VII
- Downtown San Antonio Rotary Club
- Financial Executive International, former firm’s representative, 2007-2011
Ms. Norman’s experience includes the following:
- Establishment of a Mexican Maquiladora subsidiary of a foreign owned automotive parts manufacturing company.
- Represented an aviation manufacturing company in the refinancing of its principal banking credit facility, secured by aircraft.
- Represented a national bank in lending to a Texas series limited liability company, a first for the national bank, as to the series member in the aviation business and as to the series member in the real estate business.
- Represented a leading specialty telecommunications company in a proposed acquisition of a target in the telecommunication business, in the Central Northeast of the U.S.
- Represented a major importer of workingman’s tools and supplies in the move of their credit relationship from one major national bank to another national bank.
- Represented a private equity fund’s portfolio company in a proposed acquisition of an oil field supply company.
- Represented an aviation manufacturing company in purchases and sales of aircraft, including the sale of helicopters to be utilized off-shore.
- Represented a U.S. automotive parts company in the sale of a minority interest to a foreign investor.
- Established for two Texas real estate investors in San Antonio their new investment vehicle.
- Represented a national bank in the refinancing of a specialized commercial loan secured by a foreign owned vessel.
- Represented a San Antonio company in its acquisition of a franchise food service company.
- Established the U.S. subsidiary of a Canadian company for the U.S. subsidiary to sell its products for use in the U.S. oil and gas industry, including specifically for use in the Eagle Ford Field.
- Represented a San Antonio business in their possible sale to a national competitor.
- Represented an aviation manufacturing company in structuring borrowings and re-lending in the context of high end jet aircraft.
- Represented for many years, while a partner at two major San Antonio law firms, one of the largest and most active businesses in San Antonio, a major industrial equipment dealer and distributor, and worked with other principals in representing a key investor in his acquisition of his interest in a national sports team.
- Represented a wide variety of clients and completed all kinds of routine corporate business matters, including formation of businesses, financing of businesses, both for the lender and for the borrower, divisions of businesses, raising capital, mergers and acquisitions, both for the acquiror and for the target and, where necessary, dissolutions of businesses, and worked with tax accountants and tax lawyers in Federal tax planning for business or addressing the tax aspects of corporate transactions.
BA—The University of Texas at Austin
(Also, attended Universidad de Madrid, Madrid, Spain, studying Spanish)
JD---The University of Texas Law School
LLM—Masters of Laws in Taxation, New York University School of LawAdmitted to Practice:
- Texas, 1969
- New York, 1970
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Purchases and Sales of Businesses
- Finance/Commercial Lending and Borrowing
- Distribution and Dealership
- Oil Field Service and Supply
- Tax Aspects of Business Transactions